The family dog... covered in fleas and desperate for love. He stands by my side, every day while I'm reading, looking at me with the saddest eyes. I've taken to scratching him with my shoe. He is 12 years old... very old for a dog in Nicaragua. He protects the home, standing in front all day barking when other dogs approach.
It is hard to see in this photo but this is an entire family riding on a motorcycle. Not uncommon. A small boy in the front, the father, the mother holding a baby. Note the only one wearing a helmet is the father! It is also common to see an entire family on a regular bicycle. I had no idea 5 people could ride one bicycle. And of course on a bicycle no one wears a helmet.
A mom and her daughter. This woman is wearing flat shoes but most women here wear 3 inch heels all the time... with everything. I don't know how they do it. I wear only flat shoes and have a hard time staying upright. The roads are uneven and there are virtually no sidewalks. I've seen women carrying a load of something on their heads, holding the hand of their child while walking in spiked heels. Absolutely amazing.
I love this!
A family waiting for a taxi.
A man in his wheelchair. How he manages to go up and down the massive hills, I have no idea!
People walk up and down the streets selling things... mostly food. They carry incredible loads on their heads and backs.
This cow walked right up to me, smiled and walked away. Totally normal here!
One of the school buses picking up the neighborhood children. The children here all wear uniforms. Navy slacks or skirts, white shirts and socks.
Much activity on the streets... always! People walking, riding bikes, motorbikes, visiting, children playing.
The neighbor kids.
There is no way to adequately capture the energy of life in photos.
No comments:
Post a Comment