Monday, 19 March 2012

5 days...

and time is flying by.

I will miss this place!

I will miss the people... my new friends, my family, the teachers at my school.
I will miss the beautiful beautiful scenery.  I will miss La Cascada... La Casita... the chair in front of my home.
I will miss the slow, laid back nature of life here.

There are, of course, a few things I won't miss:  beans, dust, bony animals, howling dogs at 4am, cockroaches and killer frogs.

However... the awesomeness of Nicaragua and the people here FAR out weigh the other.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to experience yet another majestic Nicaraguan attraction.

The drive...
 
Lunch...
 We arrive at the canyon...
hmmmmm..... I'm sure it's an interesting story...
 After walking across the desert... the rocky terrain... crossing a rushing river on a flimsy log (some of that might be slightly exaggerated).... we crossed the water on the least stable, most likely to tip, boat I have ever seen (that is NOT an exaggeration).   This is the best photo I could take because if I moved even an inch, we would have toppled over. 
 But oh-my-goodness it was worth it...

 our choices were:  climb the rocks to our final destination or swim! I swam...
They didn't....
 It took some convincing...
 but Alberto took the plunge... (choosing to jump off a 10 foot cliff... must be a guy thing!)
 The view from above...
 The view from below...
 The wildlife...
 



not the killer bathroom frog... but rather adorable! 
 and the most adorable of all....

It was a truly a wonderful day!  I feel so grateful for this opportunity.  I will never ever forget Esteli - my heart has been touched and I feel like a better person for having been here!   Sunday will, indeed, be bittersweet! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Laura, this is beautiful! What a great ending to your trip. It's so nice to see all of your new friends, and I'll be thinking about you these next few days as you work through all the emotions of leaving them, and the country. I look forward to hearing about your learnings when I'm back in May!

    ReplyDelete