Saturday, 11 February 2012

Kids make the word a brighter place

Yesterday afternoon two young men were walking by.  I was sitting outside studying.  I greeted them and smiled.  They came over to me and asked (in Spanish... which I understood) if I was studying Spanish.  With my limited Spanish I managed to figure out that one of the young men wanted to learn English.  One of them is in high school and the other in second year university (studying something to do with computors).  I asked them to wait and went inside to get all of the spanish-english study cards I had made.  I said with them for about an hour teaching pronunciation and some simple verbs and nouns.  It was SO much fun.  They were so eager to learn and it was amusing listening to them struggle with some of the English pronunciations.  In the process I learned a little more Spanish.  I was able to understand that the one guys father is currently living in the United States... making money.  I think he hasnt seen him for 4 years.  Either that or 4 months.... guess it could be 4 days too. (Im still learning).  I invited them to come back again.  I think they will.  One of them especially was very keen to learn and was doing really well.  The school Im attending also has English classes in the evening.  They do not cost much so I am thinking... if he keeps coming back... that when I leave I will pay for a couple of months of English classes for him. 

And then this morning I was sitting outside... studying again... when a young girl (probably 8 years old) came over and just stood there, looking at me.  I said hi, asked her name and told her mine.  I told her that I was studying Spanish.  Almost immediately I was completely surrounded by children.  I think eight in total.  The children in Esteli are currently on summer holidays.  They return to school on Monday.  I was able to chat with them a little... asked their names, ages (ranging from 7 to 11) and if they were happy to return to school.  In return, they asked where I was from, about my family and how long I was in Esteli.  I couldnt understand a word they were saying so I took out my electronic dictionary (on my Kindle) and asked them to spell it.  They were completely fascinated by my Kindle.  I let them put in words in Spanish and told them the corresponding words in English.  They stayed for about half an hour and asked if they could come back again.  I am currently downloading some simple English childrens books onto my Kindle to show them.  I do hope they come back (I think they will).

I was thinking that once I learned more spanish I might volunteer here in a school or something with children.  I do not think I will wait.  Spending that time with them and with the young people last night has brightened my day and opened my heart.  There is just something about children... the openness, the curiousity, the delight, the joy... that makes my word so much better.  On Monday I will explore volunteer options.  It is just what I need!

This afternoon I am going to Las Casita... an amazing garden area... to study some more.

Its a good day!

2 comments:

  1. Mel & Nora had a blast with the kids in the village we were at in Nicaragua - we didn't speak any spanish at all but they spent the afternoon singing silly camp songs with a whole bunch of kids. So great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true. Try teaching them the baby bumblebee song- they ate that up! haha
    I love this post, and am envious of your time with both groups of people! It seems like there is a lot of mutual learning and impacting going on. I hope you get to spend more time with both the young guys and the kiddies!

    ReplyDelete