Thursday, 2 February 2012

beans beans beans... everywhere beans

It´s been almost one week since I departed Saskatoon.  I am starting to adjust to my life in Nicaragua.  I managed to sleep in this morning until almost 6.  Everything comes to life here at around 530... when the loudest rooster ever lets out a great holler, soon followed by an echoed response by every other rooster within a 20 mile radius.  This, of course, gets the dogs howling, the cats hissing, the music turned on and soon people are out on the street.   Until last night, I had been waking up at about 3.  I´ve already completed 2 of the books I brought to read (on my Kindle... I LOVE my Kindle).  Waking up early really isn´t a problem though.  Life here is a completely different pace than in Saskatoon.  My day consists of school from 8 until noon.  Lunch.  Siesta.  Homework.  A stroll around the city.  More homework.  Internet Cafe.  A visit with my new friend (I´ll tell more later) and bed at around 9.  It´s a flow I could get quite used to.   Does it seem like I´m doing alot of homework (where is the bloody question mark on this computer..)  The studies are incredibly intense.  One on one classes with the expectation that I will do alot of work on my own.  Lots of vocabulary memorization and writing exercises.  Yesterday I had to write about my family and home in Saskatoon.  Today I had to write a story in the present tense.  I now know more about personal pronouns, reflexive pronouns, indirect object pronouns etc etc than I ever did in English.

I have worked up the courage to do some wandering around the market.  I even managed to negotiate the purchase of a small backpack and a pen. Me.. Yo no hablo espanol.  Necessito un pluma.  Store guy... you need a pen (insert question mark here).   Once I had a pen in hand I stopped at a store to buy a backpack (the over the shoulder bag I brought with me is killing my back).  I managed to explain what I was looking for and asked the woman how much (cuanto cuesto).  However, I couldnt understand her response.  She was kind enough to write the amount on a piece of paper for me.

The main street and market are really quite over stimulating and amazing at the same time.  Unlike Saskatoon, the merchandise is all out on the sidewalk, along with vendors selling various foods.  The fresh fruit and vegetables are outstanding.  I have some great photos that I will share as soon as I figure out how to do that.

I continue to feel very welcomed in the home I am living in (except for their pet parrot living in a cage in the backyard.  Everytime I approach it starts screaming at me).  I´m even trying to make friends with the wee mouse that is trying to make a home there too.  I havent yet encountered any disgusting bugs or other creepy crawling things but I know its only a matter of time.  One of the other students at my school found a massive cockroach in the bathroom sink ( she indicated that it was about the size of her hand).

My body is starting to adjust to teh significant diet change.  My diet consists primarily of beans and rice with the occasional egg, cheese, chicken or pork.  For breakfast... beans, tortilla and an egg.  For lunch... beans, rice, tortilla, sometimes a plantain, and cheese (fried) or chicken or pork.  For supper... beans, rice (mixed together) and a tortilla.  Occasionally there will be some other form of starchy vegetable (potato, a turnipy type thing).  I am, however, eating lots of fresh fruit.  Yum yum.  The family I am staying with are very poor.  I have decided that I will not go out to a restaurant or purchase food on the side in honor of them (if they can´t eat it, I´m not going to).  I probably could go to the market and purchase food to bring home, but I don´t want Lucilla to think that I´m not happy or unappreciative of her hospitality.  In other words, I don´t want to offend them.   Anyway, I´m fine with things the way they are.

They are a poor family in finances but rich in hospitality and warmth.  They have made me feel so very comfortable.  Karla calls every day from Managua to check on me.  I do not feel, in any way, as though I am suffering.  Quite the contrary.

So my new friend.  The other day a man stopped by to fix a door in the house.  He spoke to me and I said my standard... no hablo espanol.   He replied in English.  His English is only slightly better than my Spanish but its enough for us to communicate.  He wants to learn English.  I´m learning Spanish.  He has been coming over in the evenings to help me with my homework and I, in turn, am helping him with his English.  His name is Alberto.  It feels good to know someone.  To have an amigo.

And that´s it for now.  My fingers are sore and I´m getting frustrated with this mixed up keyboard (or maybe its me thats mixed up.... I can never tell for sure)

So blessings once again!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment