Sunday, 29 January 2012

I´m here!!!

Hola.  I have arrived at my new home in Esteli, Nicaragua.  The flight here was rather uneventful.  I did not, despite my certainty I would, get lost in the Houston airport.  I had to take a subway from one end of the airport to the other to a different terminal but I figured it out and had time to spare.  (although I must admit to being drenched in perspiration by that point).  My amiga Karla & her mama were at the airport to meet me.  It was so good to see Karla again.  For those of you who don´t know, Karla was one of the Canada World Youth volunteers who stayed with us for 3 months last summer.  We spent the night in Managua at a hotel.  Karla is now working in Managua so her mom and I hung out on Saturday until she got off work at 3.  It was a quite time together as Karla´s mom doesn´t speak any English and even though I´ve memorized a vast number of Spanish nouns and verbs... none of it sounds like I imagined it would.  So I sent much time napping & reading.  Managua is a very dangerous city so we didn´t venture too far from the hotel.  Yesterday at 4pm we came by car to Esteli... arriving at about 8pm.   Karla´s home feels very comfortable.  I will post photos as soon as I can.  Her parents are very warm & hospitable (at least I think they are... whatever they are saying, they are saying with a smile).  Today, Karla is taking me around Esteli... showing me where the school is.. the bank.. the internet cafe.  Tomorrow I start school at 8pm.  It´s about a 20 minute walk from home.

Today I feel overwhelmed by the newness & difference.  I was woken up this morning by roosters crowing, wild dogs howling and the sound of horse hoofs on the roads outside.  Totally surreal.  People are staring at me (and this time it isn´t my imagination).  I kind of glow white.  A very interesting perspective.  I don´t understand the language, the money or the customs... but somehow I have a sense that things will be ok.  I feel safe... and that is the most important thing.

So blessings to everyone.  Be well.

Love,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment